Cream Cheese Puff Squares
Puff Pastry Squares with a Vanilla Cheese Filling
Despite my trying to eat healthy, I always seem to fall short at my love for desserts, and after purchasing Puff Pastry Square sheets from Asda for a pretty decent price of £1. I had absolutely no idea what to make with them. I finished my standard meal of Vegetables and a Fish Cake (Don't judge me, okay! I just love me some Fish Cakes..) and was craving sugar as per usual. I had purchased Lidls own brand Low Fat Cream Cheese that had just been sitting there, forgetting that I had actually intended to make a cheesecake but forgot the biscuits. So I stumbled across this little recipe here.
And needless to say this is now one of my all time favourites. So simple, so delicious. A little bit messy, but sure to impress on a budget. Scroll down for the recipe.
Happy Cooking ♡
Makes: 24 Small Squares or about 12 Large Ones
500g Puff Pastry or ready-made Pastry
450g Soft Cream Cheese
200g Brown Sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
110g Butter or Margarine, Melted
4 tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
Prep:20min › Cook:30min › Ready in:50min
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Grease a 20x30cm tin.
- Roll out half of the pastry and use to line the bottom of the prepared tin.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the cream cheese, 200g sugar and vanilla until smooth and creamy. Spread over the base.
- Roll out the other half of pastry and lay on top of the cream cheese layer. Do not press down.
- Melt the butter, additional sugar and cinnamon in a pan, then drizzle over the top for a sticky sweet topping
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven or until the top is crisp and golden.