Gluten, Sugar & Dairy Free Carrot Cake
I mean. The real question is, What does this cake actually have in it? and Does it actually taste like Cake.
In Short YES, as a certified cake fiend. this does satisfy any cake cravings you may have. Depending on how much Baking Soda you add you can have 2 different types of cake texture. A minimal amount, 1/4 Teaspoon, You end up with an almost Bread Pudding like texture. Which is amazing, as there is no bread involved, This is definitely my current favourite as I've not had Bread Pudding in years.
If you bring that baking soda up to 1/2 Teaspoon you get more of a cake like texture as opposed to bread pudding which is what you'll find in the recipe.
The icing however I had to work on a bit more to get right. But the key ingredient to both cake and icing? Cashew Butter.
Cashew Butter is life okay! Find me eating it out of a jar...
The craziest thing of all, I don't even like Cashews. And Lidl didn't have the £2.99 jar version when I went. So I actually brought and made my own cashew butter for this recipe (so easy as long as you have a blender!)
Lastly, Sugar alternative. Now this one is difficult. Having tried a couple, I resorted to sweetener for this one. But you could also use Banana, it then just becomes a Banana and Carrot Cake (equally as delicious). Apple Juice on this occasion makes the batter too wet. So for texture and taste Sweetener works well, but also so does Agave Syrup, Honey. Or try no sugar at all!
- 280g Cashews (Soaked in Hot Water for 1 Hour or Store Brought Cashew Butter)
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Grated Carrots
- 4tbsp of Raisins
- 4tbsp Granulated Sweetener
- 1/2tsp Baking Soda
- 1tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1tsp Cinnamon
- Blend soaked cashews in to butter (Add olive oil if you've not been able to soak them for an hour).
- Add the Carrots, Sweetener, Baking Soda, Vanilla Essence and Cinnamon to the Mixture.
- Add 2 Eggs in to the mixture
- Grease non-stick Cake tin, Pre-Heat oven to 230°C
- Carefully Spoon mixture in to tin, Place in oven for 12-15 minutes
- Check with a knife to ensure centre is cooked.
- Leave to cool.
- 80g Cashews ( Soaked in Hot Water for 1 Hour or Store Brought Cashew Butter)
- 1/4 Tin Coconut Milk (Or 100mls of Soya/Almond)
- 3tbsp of Granulated or Powder Sweetener
- 1tsp of Vanilla Essence
- 1tsp Lemon Juice
- Sprinkle of Cinnamon
- Blend soaked Cashews in to Butter, You may need some olive oil if they haven't soaked for long enough.
- Add Cinnamon and Vanilla Essence to the Butter
- Add your choice of Milk, (add by table spoon to ensure you don't use too much)
- Stir in Sweetener, Vanilla Essence, Lemon Juice and Cinnamon
- Leave to side, until Cake is cool enough to ice.